Meaningless reasons

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

Rafal wrote:Also, why aren't there fixed rules about this yet? And what's preventing us from creating them right now?
nothing stops us from doing some. we are only missing someone to actually write it down.

http://www.anidb.net/wiki/index.php?tit ... %26_Romaji
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Rafal wrote:In both kunrei-shiki and the hepburn system を should be written as "o" when it's used as a particle
Oh, so they should. Managed to overlook that. Anyway, the basic problem is transcription is not a very exact science, and especially 'exception rules' like this tend to get overlooked in practice. Anyway, I'm up for 'correcting' he-s and wo-s, 's only about 20 anime titles, and not hard to synonym in the 'incorrect' alternative.

Rar
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

Rafal wrote:In both kunrei-shiki and the hepburn system を
Yeah, and in stricter Nihon-shiki and wapuro it's "wo", so what? Both of those have advantage of very precise kana<->romaji mapping (this particular reason, BTW, was discussed in initial "what romaji we should use" talk and AFAIR was accepted as good thing™ by pretty much everyone).
Rafal

Post by Rafal »

Look, if you decide to us "wa" and "e" for the particles は and へ and you want to remain consistent, you use "o" for the particle を. It's that simple.

And the Nihon-shiki and wapuro you mentioned are also consistent and besides "wo" they're using "ha" and "he" for the other two particles. And I doubt most people would agree with using such a romanization scheme.
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

"ha" -> "wa" was too mentioned in that discussion. Because it is just too common, it was decided that it'd be an exception. This does not apply to "wo" though, as "wo" -> "o" is not even nearly as common.
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

...this isn't about exceptions; anidb's romaji is based on hepburn (some forms even state that it should hepburn, which is false, mainly due to the technical difficulty in entering macrons), and を, when used as a particle (almost always), is "o" in hepburn.
Amour

Post by Amour »

Well, I do not understand the topic, but if you wanna know, romaji isn't the same in all language. I mean:
* In English it will be Toukyou or Tokyo
* In French it will be Tōkyō or Tôkyô or Tokyo
:)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

/me makes jokes at the expense of the french.

Anyway, no amour, there are really only three standards for romanising japanese, there's no variation between languages. There are probably systems for transcribing to other writing systems (chinese, russian etc) that will of course be different, but for roman the options are pretty clear. However, there *are* lots of non-standard options open to a transcriber, what people prefer varies a lot.

Rar