Punish a user

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Punish a user

Post by Skywalka »

The person who added a couple of CRC invalid files to Gundam Seed
http://anidb.ath.cx/perl-bin/animedb.pl ... xpandall=1

I HATE THIS!!!!!eleven!

There is no reason to actually add files with the same filesize and a verifyable wrong CRC to a series that has been out of publishing for over half a year, with the respective group not having touched the Anime for months.

If the person has this file, s/he should simply do something else, add a generic file for instance, or request generic files for the episodes so s/he can add the files.

Maybe the policy concerning this has changed in the recent months - back then I was told "don't bother, those files will move to the not listed ones soon enough".

I still hate it.
BitFaze

Re: Punish a user

Post by BitFaze »

Skywalka wrote:The person who added a couple of CRC invalid files to Gundam Seed
Thanks for this info, because I'm just in the middle of building my MyList.
As you can see I'm a new user, but I've been around the anime community for many years.
So now after adding what I have on my HDDs, I'm also adding the files I have on CD/DVD to my list. uncluding, among others; Gundam SEED.
...phew that was a large intro :D

My point is: Could you please state, besides which anime, also what exact files you are refering to? I don't want to be adding the wrong ones :(

[EDIT]
Oh those... I think I know which files you are refering to. It wouldn't be 96653 and 96654, would it? :)

[EDIT 2]
... And I thought that was it. I just noticed there are at LEAST 10 new files by AnimeJunkies with invalid CRC32. I agree that if this was around the time when they were released, it would've been a good thing. Because then people could see that they had files that didn't match the official CRC32. But now? It's too late. Ask for Generics.

hmm... :? But then again, if their files were wrong, they would just not be added. And then they could verify their "invalidness" by the fact that the file(s) weren't added to their MyList. (or didn't match to official CRC32, if they made a .sfv file of their own)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Yeah I know... you see, I am one of those people who tend to have only valid or non-verified files in their mylist. I just started to search for 40 other Maison Ikkoku files - while I have crc invalid ones, I don't want to share those. There are non-crc invalid ones given, and I'll try to get those now. I have about 6000 files and only 60 with wrong crc.

Maybe other people think different but I think that only files that really were shared back in the day need to be added to the DB. With about 70k and more users I think it is safe to assume that we now have anough people using the DB to be safe that files from very popular series, even those that got crc-invalid, were added up until now, and that there is no need to add them to the DB.

What's even more important - because it is such a popular series, it might be very easy to get the files with the good and verified crcs now and not save those faulty ones to CD/DVD.

But that might be just my point of view.
BitFaze

Post by BitFaze »

Skywalka wrote:What's even more important - because it is such a popular series, it might be very easy to get the files with the good and verified crcs now and not save those faulty ones to CD/DVD.

But that might be just my point of view.
Exactly my point too :)
As I might have said earlier I'm importing all my files from DVDs/CDs in batches of about 50GiB to check if they can stil e read and to import them to my MyList.
This is where I see AniDB as a powerful tool to verify that I have the correct files. Or if I need to get new copies of some of them and burn new discs... It's not uncommon for me to download several GiB just to get the right files (if they are available ofcause ^_^)

But to get back to the issue at hand... Could a Moderator/Admin please take a stand on this?
egg

Post by egg »

BitFaze wrote:But to get back to the issue at hand... Could a Moderator/Admin please take a stand on this?
I am not a mod, but the official stand on this is:
If the file is something that only you have (either you did something that changed the CRC or it became corrupted on you system), it is better to use the generic file to put it into your mylist. If it is something that is available on the net in its corrupt form and there is a good chance other users have the same corrupt file, then go ahead and add it.
FiveSeven

Post by FiveSeven »

egg wrote:
BitFaze wrote:But to get back to the issue at hand... Could a Moderator/Admin please take a stand on this?
I am not a mod, but the official stand on this is:
If the file is something that only you have (either you did something that changed the CRC or it became corrupted on you system), it is better to use the generic file to put it into your mylist. If it is something that is available on the net in its corrupt form and there is a good chance other users have the same corrupt file, then go ahead and add it.
I think adding to mylist with Type marked as Corrupted
MyList Type wrote:This parameter allows you to mark that you don't have exactly the file you added to your mylist.

Options for normal files:

* normal/original
* you have this exact file corrupted version/invalid crc
* your version of this file is corrupted/has a different crc than the original self edited
* you modified the file, i.e. you removed the op/ed other
tho I think it will be really troublesome if you have many corrupted files. But that's much better than adding new files to the database
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

egg wrote:I am not a mod, but the official stand on this is:
exactly.
as long as the corrupted file was shared at some point it should be added to anidb.
if it hasn't been shared, one should use generic files or the extra status flags to mark a normal file in mylist as corrupted instead.

BYe!
EXP
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

and seeing there's only 1 user who has it in his mylist (the one who added those files) I think it would be justified to delete these files and add generics to GS...
I can't do this without the approval of other mods and EXP though :P
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Instead of generics I would use the corrupted flag, as the files were done by AJ but you got them corrupt.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I don't get what you wrote DonGato.

I thought after what EXP said we were already a bit further down the road and nwa interpreted what would should be done now - remove the the files that were added and add generic files to Gundam Seed.

The way I understand it at the moment is that EXP mentioned the general rules as they are at the moment (which is a change from what they were in the past, before we had generic files) - which, as I understand it, is if a user has files that weren't publicly shared and which are currupt that that user should better use generic files.

If I understand you right, you objected to what EXP said and instead opted to leave the files in the DB?

Sorry if my questions seem unfriendly but at the moment I really don't understand *frown* I thought when EXP comes forth and mentiones the way something should be done then we'll try and get to the point where we interpret what he wants and do that, which nwa tried in the post before yours and I am irritated because I think you object to what EXP said and don't respond to what nwa asked.

Maybe it's just because I am a bit ill and tired at the moment and my brain works in slowmotion *sniff* -_-;;
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

You're confused, I never denied what exp said just choose the best path from the two he gave for this case.
I don't know where you got that weird idea of me denying exp. :roll:

There are two ways of handling this. One is generics, that is more suited for files you don't know where they came or you seen it but don't remember from which group (or maybe from TV/DVD/Others). The other is the corrupt flag used to add to your list known corrupted files. I said he knows the files are from AJ and matches the release but they are corrupt. In that case a better manifestation of that is to add the original files and set them to corrupt. If not you're losing some valuable data. That's what that feature was added for.

Just as simple as that, but it seems it was complex to understand. :?
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

DonGato wrote:If not you're losing some valuable data.
who is? maybe the one who wants to add it to his/her mylist, but all the others gain trash... since when is a corrupt file valuable data?

I'm 80% sure that only he/she has that corrupted version and it wasn't distributed anywhere in the net... although one can never be sure
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

nwa wrote:
DonGato wrote:If not you're losing some valuable data.
who is? maybe the one who wants to add it to his/her mylist, but all the others gain trash... since when is a corrupt file valuable data?
That's not the point, really ^^;

When DonGato mentioned the "corrupt flag", he referred to the personal mylist-type (see below), not the general crc-status of the file. Also "add" mostly means "add to mylist", not "add to anidb" ;)

Since a while there's a new feature when adding existing files to one's list: To assign a special "type" to it (that's what FiveSeven, exp and DonGato referred to), in this case "corrupted version/invalid crc". And that's what BitFaze should've used here, instead of adding a new file-entry.

Step by step:
1) Go to Gundam Seed
2) Expand ep 5
3) Click on "add file to mylist (Image)" for the regular crc-valid entry of AJ's release
4) Choose type: "corrupted version/invalid crc" instead of "normal/original"
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

should've said so right from the start, I actually had no idea this sort of thing was even possible :D

however, there's one thing I can correct wahaha on in return!
namely BitFaze was not the person who added those corrupted files :P
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

Got the wrong impression there - sorry, BitFaze ^^;

I sent a lenghty message to the one who added these files - if he doesn't reply within the next week, I'll remove the files. (There's still a slight chance that these are wide-spread corruptions...)