Packing program for efficiently grouping series on DVDR

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

jim3535

Packing program for efficiently grouping series on DVDR

Post by jim3535 »

I figured that some people on AniDB might find this useful.

I wrote a quick Perl program to aid in the packing of anime series onto various media (DVDR in particular). It generates a list of file / folder groups that fit nicely on DVD together. It requires Perl, so you can install Active Perl if you don't have it.

Just copy the .pl file to the directory with the files / folders you want to pack and run it. It will generate a file called "Packing Report.txt" with information about how to pack them. It lists the total size of that bin, the wasted space, efficency of that bin, and the files and folders to put in the bin.

Sample output

Download

For any code junkies out there: I know it's not 100% optimized code-wise, but I don't care.
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

Looks great ^^

I took a look at the sourcecode.

Code: Select all

$binsize = 4698000000;	# size of bins in bytes (DVD size)
Is this DVD+ or DVD- ?
Cuz I know that a DVD- is about 3 MB larger. ( I had once the problem that i couldnt copy a friends DVD cuz he used DVD- and i only had DVD+. It was about 1MB off >_>)

Mata ne, ninja~
jim3535

Post by jim3535 »

Yeah, there's a small margin of error in there so you can put sfvs or other stuff on the disc. Besides, it really sucks when you're a few hundred KB larger than a disc (that happened to me).

You can tweak it easily though. If DVDs are anything like CDs, then they vary by a few MB from brand to brand. The discs that I was burning are larger than that number by 1.6 MB.
ninjamask

Post by ninjamask »

Ported the programm to java:

"Executeable": Pack.jar
Sourcecode: Pack.java
Sample Output: Packing Report.txt

jim3535 Perl programm: pack.pl