Why is the language icon suddenly "british"

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

Skywalka

Why is the language icon suddenly "british"

Post by Skywalka »

Who changed that? And why? I am all confused now because nothing is "US english" anymore. And I hate britsh english ;)
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

well,

that got changed with the last big audio/sub language update.
and it is of course correct that neither a US nor a UK flag do really fit the
concept of "english" as audio language.
however, i feel that even more ppl would be confused with an "english" flag (I am not even sure if the white flag with red cross can still be called that).
so i simply went with the first flag available, which was the US flag.
though after reconsidering and considering the origin of the language I think the UK flag is a bit more fitting, that's why I changed it.

BYe!
EXP
zaufany

Post by zaufany »

I think there could be a new option in prifile to select one of 3 flags for English.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Naaahhhh... people, English is ENGLISH! Why do you think it's named English? Because it was used in England. ;)
Why give more work to exp for such a subtle hing?!
egg

Post by egg »

zaufany wrote:I think there could be a new option in prifile to select one of 3 flags for English.
Yeah!! California English, New York English and Texas English. :twisted:
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

zaufany wrote:I think there could be a new option in prifile to select one of 3 flags for English.
x_X
definitely NOT!

BYe!
EXP
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

exp wrote:however, i feel that even more ppl would be confused with an "english" flag (I am not even sure if the white flag with red cross can still be called that).
Come on, would St. George's flag really confuse anyone? For the language, it is absolutely the correct choice; the Union Jack incorporates it, anyway. (Along with Welsh and Scottish elements.)
analogued

Post by analogued »

How about something like this http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview ... agengl.gif ?? That would satisfy both parties. :wink:
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Yes, make that in 13x11 (15x13 without 1 pixel each side). :roll:
pelican
AniDB Staff

Post by pelican »

analogued wrote:How about something like this http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pierre.g/xnview ... agengl.gif ?? That would satisfy both parties. :wink:
However, there are many other countries for which English is the national language than the U.K. and U.S.A.; really, why not just an English flag, which clearly best represents the language?
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

Because english has it's roots in continental Europe, I demand the german flag to be incorporated *snicker*

I think the US/UK mixture is a great idea since that's the two countries english is the most spoken language.

While I am at it: I think a texan flag would mean 70% english and 30% mexican *evilgrin*

Besides, no Swiss or Austrian person would demand the flag to be changed from a german to an austrian or swiss flag if the audio is german. In the end, the Audio is called _german_ not "austrian" or "swiss" because that is not what the language is called.

So if we want to to it right, we should use an _english_ flag which is this one here:

The currently used flag would be for "united kingdom"ish ;)
Rar
AniDB Staff

Re: Why is the language icon suddenly "british"

Post by Rar »

New flag better than the american one. Though I'm sure most merkins think they speak 'American'. The colours seem a little off to me however. The rather fun history of the flag.

Image Current odd colouration.
Image Better colours.
Image St George.
Hybrid thing above is horrible.
Skywalka wrote:Who changed that? And why? I am all confused now because nothing is "US english" anymore. And I hate britsh english ;)
You suck. :D
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Mmmm... your proposed one has a weird middle of flag. :/

Image Image Image
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I just did a straight colour swap on the existing. Agreed, a bit of aa is nicer. A few versions:
Image Image Image

Rar
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

wow yeah, didn't notice. The UK flag is indeed darker.

I'd say Rar's middle one is right.

And I still think that a mixed UK/US flag would be right since so many dubs are produced in the US and there are really differences between british and american english. I HATE cogney. Really.