what is an anime and what is not

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

ok, how bout this...
an anime is something that was produced in or by(co-projects with another country allowed) Asia/Asians OR if the original dub was asian... if an entry fails in both those criterias, it won't be considered anime..

this way Transformers Generation would fail to be in the anidb... or if it would then only season1 and Transformers the US Movie would be deleted on sigh... :P

if we don't have a rule about these, then it's moderators choice basically...
but even so, Transformers Generation is kinda borderline no matter what
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I agree.

But "Asian" is a bit too loosely. Japan has to be involved in larger parts, I don't think that pure korean animation should be consideres as Anime as well.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Shouldn't that render Wonderful Days not allowed as well?

Post by Guest »

I would also vote to kick 100% Korean animation out (well, at least the Korean movies. I doubt anidb has many Korean series indexed [yet]). Same for Molly star-racer, which was (largely) produced in France and will air on French TV first (iirc).

CU,
lamer_de
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

I'm completely against this. korean and chinese animations are ANIME as well! even if your lexicas or whatever source you use say something different, it is and should stay. we don't have to and don't want to be as extreme as animenfo.
whats the use to kick things like Oseam, Mari Iyagi, Wonderful days, Mak Dau Goo Si out anyway?! it's not like those entries are flodding the database.
it's something different with entries like xenosaga, which is clearly no anime. such things need to be deleted.
analogued

Post by analogued »

Der Idiot wrote:I'm completely against this. korean and chinese animations are ANIME as well! even if your lexicas or whatever source you use say something different, it is and should stay. we don't have to and don't want to be as extreme as animenfo.
whats the use to kick things like Oseam, Mari Iyagi, Wonderful days, Mak Dau Goo Si out anyway?! it's not like those entries are flodding the database.
I agree with Der Idiot on this... Most people so far seem to pigeonhole anime into the "from Japan" category.... Maybe they are right but it's not like we have to be that extreme. Just my 2 cents.
Ultima
AniDB Staff

Post by Ultima »

nwa wrote:ok, how bout this...
an anime is something that was produced in or by(co-projects with another country allowed) Asia/Asians OR if the original dub was asian... if an entry fails in both those criterias, it won't be considered anime..

this way Transformers Generation would fail to be in the anidb... or if it would then only season1 and Transformers the US Movie would be deleted on sigh... :P

if we don't have a rule about these, then it's moderators choice basically...
but even so, Transformers Generation is kinda borderline no matter what
I agree with nwa, and I don't think AniDB should kick out Korean animation. I don't see a clear reason why we should.
henkalex

Post by henkalex »

In reaction on the deletion of Transformers Generation 1 form the database.

I understood that only for season one Toei has worked on TG1. But, a reason for me to say it should stay in the database is that practically the whole transformers series is in de db. (Yes i know some same setting and side stories with other names as beast wars and so on are known). Now with the deletion, the series with which Transformers got it's fame is deleted.

i think it should be reasonable that an (anime or not) animation with such impact on a particular large sequels of series based on it, stays in the db.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

well, yeah, as I said transformers generations is borderline...
it could be there and could not be...
just that what's deleted, is deleted, only way to get that one back is if someone adds it again, but it would be wise to wait for it until EXP comes back
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

so what now?

What's the definition of Anime then?

- As long as they have huge eyes and the drawing was done in Asia, it's Anime
- as long as a japanese Person is largely involved in the development process, it's Anime
(this would make "The last Unicorn" Anime by the way)

I've been through this discussion a thousand times to be honest.

Another example would be if we take Miyazaki and ship him to India and let him coordinate drawings there. Is India Asian enough? What if Miyazaki was to produce something in Germany? Still Anime? Depends on Eyesize?

From the looks, Miyazaki-Charas to me look not too different from Totally Spies Charas.

I know we will never get a clear and strict rule here, but if you ask me it's kinda ridiculous to rule out any Computer-CG to be added to the website (those are directly from Japan and only japanese people were involved in the creation process) while having other animation material in the DB that was never touched by someone from Japan at all and just qualifies as "Animation from Asia".

Hint: Australia is Asia too, right? I demand the "Bush Babies" and "Blinky Bill" to be entered into AniDB. (I think those are from australia but I might be wrong, who knows, it's a silly request) *grin*
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Skywalka wrote:Australia is Asia too, right?
:P

Asutralia is Australia :)

anyway, I think the way I described anime is pretty understandable, no need to involve big eyes... if Miyazaki goes to India or Pakistan to make an anime then it's gonna be anime, if he produces it in Germany and does more than just pour coffe then that can be anime as well, all this can be read from
myself wrote:an anime is something that was produced in or by(co-projects with another country allowed) Asia/Asians
it's simple with Game CG's though, they're not anime, they're Game CG's, even if they were created by Miyazaki himself
Last edited by nwa on Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Australia is Oceania, but I think most of you already know what is anime. No need to be too restrictive to Japanese big eyed animations. IMO involving Japanese people is not needed.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

DonGato wrote:Australia is Oceania
http://www.ri.net/schools/Central_Falls ... t7con.html
DonGato wrote:IMO involving Japanese people is not needed.
DonGato wrote:I think most of you already know what is anime.
well, I know an anime when I see one, but by involiving Japanese people is not needed.. do you mean Asians as a whole, or just Japanese, cause if you mean Asians as a whole, then it goes against my definition of anime, so could you enlighten us with your definiton?

wyh are we arguing about this anyway? in the end, it's for EXP to decide :P
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

deja-vu

Why don't go to a better site?

WorldAtlas.com
Britannica On-Line
Continent definition (@Wikipedia)

As you see in the last link all definitions take in account Oceania (sometimes simplified to Australia) as a continent, but is not only the Australia island, but a rest of small ones...
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

great, now let's argue about whether it's Australia or Oceania while they're both correct, I said Australia is Australia, which is true, you said Australia is Oceania(which is also true) as saying that Australia is not Australia although a continent called Australia exists and since Skywalka was talking about Australias cartoons, no need to involve the island groups... :lol:

shall we continue talking about Australia/Oceania? :P