help please -> mkv files

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

feanor7

help please -> mkv files

Post by feanor7 »

hi, can any1 please tell me how to play these damn mkv files? i downloaded matruska codec/plugin, but none of my players can play the file. wmp closes itself when it should start to play, winamp & powerdvd dont play it at all, coreplayer is shitty anyway and bsplayer fucks up the subs. please help(and stop creating those files) :-) btw, its the inu yasha movie3, i found 2 versions on emule, the avi version isnt subbed unfortunately. and im pissed off everyday when i see that the movie still hasnt been subbed(unless the mkv-subs are actually english and the file starts workin), maaan its been 7 months since its premiere :-(
thx in advance(ill be back tonight)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

1. You don't use ZoomPlayer. That's a mistake.

2. If BSPlayer has problems with the subtitles, don't fix the Matroska splitter. Fix your subtitle filter instead. Get rid of any and all filters related to subtitles ("Subtitle Filter", "Subtitle Mixer") and install DirectVobSub aka VSFilter instead. Link can be found in the FAQ.

3. MKV owns. AVI lacks support for soft subtitles entirely and advanced audio formats. OGM lacks support for anamorphic video, several audio formats and only supports SRT-style soft subtitles (besides, it's just plain crappy). MKV has all of these feautures, and more, and is easily extensible when and if new feautures are required.
feanor7

Post by feanor7 »

direct vobsub is installed already and could you instruct me on how to to remove those filters? :S thx a lot!
feanor7

Post by feanor7 »

i just installed zoomplayer, subs are still not shown properly :-(
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

"Not shown properly" means what? That error description gives us SOOO MUCH INFORMATION! Yes we can read minds on the other side of the earth! We also predict futures, cure cancer and make you rich if you ask nicely!

Only advise I can give is:
1) Try pressing ctrl+b in Zoom Player.
or
2) Follow the Zoom Player codec install guides.

Seriously:
Learn basic grammar and realize you can't just say "stuff doesn't work" and expect everyone to know what you mean.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

PetriW wrote:Yes we can read minds on the other side of the earth! We also predict futures, cure cancer and make you rich if you ask nicely!
Whoa, someone's got a bad hair day. [img]http://www.elberet.de/~jens/^^.gif[/img]

Most importantly, we need to know which filters your ZoomPlayer ends up using. Even if DVobSub is installed, it doesn't mean that another filter couldn't think of itself being more important and shoves DVobSub aside.

During playback with the broken subtitles, right-click in the video and go to the "Filter Properties" popup menu. Type down all the filters listed in that menu, including the ones that are shaded / grayed out, and post the list here.
Gambit
AniDB Staff

Post by Gambit »

Uh ... I think this fits better in Support. Therefor I`m moving it as well :)

Oh - and PetriW - you shouldn`t sit in front of your PC when your evil alter ego takes over Image
Now people feel like there are actual solutions for those ;)
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

:)
feanor7

Post by feanor7 »

learn basic grammar? fuck you idiot, im a student of english in hamburg, germany. and theres no way to describe how the subs are shown, fucking moron. dont have to "help" if you dont want to, if you feel like i didnt give you enough info. thanks elberet, i will try that! :-)

Post by Guest »

well, actually there is a way to describe it. lets see if you can use this description: the signs are not ones that anybody can read(i dont even have those on my keyboard, and no i dont mean signs from another language) + they are distorted
feanor7

Post by feanor7 »

this is the list you asked for elberet: video renderer, default direct sound device, direct vobsub(forced auto loading version), zoomplayer audio filter(shaded), xvid mpeg4 video decoder, moonlight odio dekoda, matroska splitter(shaded), source file(shaded)
dont know why matroska splitter is shaded, i installed it and will try once again now
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

feanor7 wrote:... and theres no way to describe how the subs are shown, fucking moron
Ah, how eloquent.

But as you said they seem to be just random signs meaning nothing. This would suggest you're reading some form of asian characters on a computer without asian fonts installed. Did you try press ctrl+b?

The Matroska splitter is probably greyed out because it has no properties / configuration. Did you try press ctrl+b?
Also, in Zoom Player when you right click the video there should be a stream selection option. Look if there's an "English subtitles" there or some such.
feanor7

Post by feanor7 »

hmm, i pressed ctrl+b, same ol same ol. :S but if you say the signs could be asian characters, theres no need to bother any further, i guess? but then again in the stream selection option i can choose english. if you got any more suggestions on how i could fix the subs(if they are english) id be grateful :-) and if not, maybe you can tell me when inuyasha movie 3 will be subbed, because i cant seem to find out. thx
min3

Post by min3 »

you could try downloading the k-lite codec pack
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Codec packs are generally very bad for users, Zoom Player has perfect instructions for how to install each needed codec.