MyIE2 and anidb's notifying popups

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

nwa wrote:I'm just wondering... what the hell are all you people writing in those PM's.. for what reason are you sending them to each other?

I've used that feature only like... 6 times or so (most of them regarding creq's)... or do you mean those system messages? :roll:
Well, the initial post was about Notifications... which are pretty useful, IMO.

Messages can be used for:
  • Comments on reviews
  • Creq questions and responses
  • System messages and questions about them
  • Asking a single user to reshare a file or compile a patch
  • Basically contacting anyone on AniDB without having to use a different account (e.g. a forum which would at the same time invalidate the "last visited" date)
... for example ^^
But yes, most of them are probably system-messages or about creqs.
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I could say the same about PMs here on the forum. It all depends on the amount of activity you show or better how active you are.

If you file like a gazillion CREQs on a single day you can expect some inquiries about a creq or two via the creq function - which basically uses the PM function of AniDB, and generating a notify. You can then also start talking to the admin via the PM function. That way I found out that it is possible to send personal messages to users independent from the creq process. The notify helps because I always overlook the forum's message feature (sorry but "you have no new messages" looks to similar to "you have x new messages"
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

I always wondered why when you write a PM (not a response) the receiver is filled with your name instead of left blank. That imposes a problem because if you forgot to change it, instead of a warning of no receiver filled (that can be easily made in JavaScript) you send a PM to yourself. :P :?
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

DonGato wrote:I always wondered why when you write a PM (not a response) the receiver is filled with your name instead of left blank.
No such thing here (Firefox 0.8). Are you sure this isn't some (quite odd) auto-fill-in on your side?
DonGato wrote:That imposes a problem because if you forgot to change it, instead of a warning of no receiver filled (that can be easily made in JavaScript) you send a PM to yourself. :P :?
I did this a few times already, actually - on purpose (to test for bugs or just see whether popups work or not) ^^
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Man, Mozilla FireFox 0.8 here, Open page -> Click MyList -> Click Send Message -> To is filled with own username.

If it isn't happening to you then I'm having all AniDb bugs by myself. :cry:
wahaha
AniDB Staff

Post by wahaha »

I couldn't reproduce it in both Firefox and IE... :?
DonGato

Post by DonGato »

Damn! When everything fails replace the user. :D

** /me is being removed from its computer **
egg

Post by egg »

Rar wrote:I might be missing the point, but if you're having any problems
exp wrote:You should not use the microsoft internet explorer or any derivates (i.e. MyIE or stuff like that) for this site... AniDB may work with MS IE but that`s untested and unsupported :P
Zip
I know, that is why when I was having problems I did not create a post, but since there was already one here... :)

I think the way MyIE2 handles tabs works a lot better than FireFox. I have tried FireFox a couple of times and used it for a while, but when I found this, I liked it better. Can I help it if they built it on top of IE? :wink:
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Hey, I'm probably the only person on the board who uses Netscape 7. We all need our little foibles. :)

Rar