A couple of questions..

All your questions about AniDB belong in here.
No download support!

Moderator: AniDB

waswas1717

A couple of questions..

Post by waswas1717 »

I have been using AniDB for a long time now it has become my homepage. Anyhow, here are my questions:

1- We are founding a new group for Arabic subbing, and we are short on staff :wink: , Is it allowed to post the vacancies on the forum for those intrested?

2- I have noticed that AniDB provide some anime titles in Arabic. We think this is really a great feature. However, this is only the case in a few anime titles. Can we provide you with the Arabic titles for the rest of the animes (the popular ones at least). And if you like that, how can we send them?

Thanx for the help..
Mohammed
Last edited by waswas1717 on Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lamer_de

Post by lamer_de »

For the 2nd:
On the bottom of each page is "Add/Edit: Synonym/Short Title". There you can add official non-english titles (Read: if you just translate yourself every title to arabian(?), I doubt that's a smart idea. The problem is also that not many/no anidb mod can read arabic, so they can't check what you wrote. Some people thought it would be funny to add nonsense titles in jewish writing, for example).

For the first, I guess you can ask in the general forum, but I somehow doubt you'll get many positive responses. There aren't that many active people on the forums when compared to the total userbase of anidb.

CU,
lamer_de
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

to 2nd, too:

At the moment you can add only one "Other Official title", that means if there is already a jewish,german or whatever Title, U can't add it anymore as an official. In that case you have to add it as synonym at the moment.
waswas1717

Post by waswas1717 »

lamer_de wrote:For the 2nd:
There you can add official non-english titles (Read: if you just translate yourself every title to arabian(?), I doubt that's a smart idea.
Hmmm.. I wasn't intending to do such a thing in the first place (though I find it a nice idea). The problem is that in most of the Arabic world, there is no such thing as Licensing. So there is nothing that you can call Official :oops: . Simply, (this might sounds a little strange) we dont have laws of Copyright. Some companies do buy animes and Dub them, and you can find a Copy of that dubbed anime being sold in public for less than 1.25$ per DVD in the same street where that poor company lies. This makes me wonder whether to laugh or to cry.

I don't want to stray from the main subject. I get what you mean and I thank you for the reply. As for titles, I was intending to post the names used on TV, or in DVD releases that have been subbed or dubbed (though these are quite few).

Thanx
Mohammed
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Yeah,

the problem with the current system is that it is _not_ supposed to handle titles in different languages.
basically you have the official fields for the japanese (romaji/kanji) and english titles. Those are the most important.

Then there is a field for another official title, however, normally this should only be used for animes which actually have a main title which is not japanese/english, so it's not for the titles some dubbing/subbing company (even with official licence for the region) in any other country came up with.

If there is interest in having such titles added, then a new feature should be implemented first which allows you to select the language of the title you are adding.

But that brings us back to the mod problem, if we don't have anyone who knows the language, it doesn't seem a good idea to allow it's addition.

about 1:
please don't post that here, you won't get much of an audience reading the post anyway, try your luck in the anime-reactor forums.

BYe!
EXP