Create the ability to "Ask a Mod" [DENIED]

old granted and denied feature requests

Moderator: AniDB

egg

Create the ability to "Ask a Mod" [DENIED]

Post by egg »

While working on the documentation, there are certain situations that cannot be defined absolutely. So the solution to the documentation was to add something like "Ask a mod if ...". But how does a general user know who the mods are and how to ask them? So the idea of having a feature in the system that would allow this came up.

I would assume that something could added to the messaging and/or creq system that could accomodate this.

Tracker record is at: http://www.anidb.net/tracker/view.php?id=30
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Moved to anidb feature requests.
egg

Post by egg »

:oops: Sorry, I'm not sure where I put it, but this is definitely where it is supposed to be...
egg

Post by egg »

rar wrote:In my opinion, we have this. It's called 'the forums'.
That is what I was thinking at first too, but consider this.

Let's say in the documentation for genres we have something that says, "Ask a mod before ..." Most likely the person is fairly new to AniDB, so how does that user know how to ask a mod? Most likely the user does not know who the mods are OR how to send them a message. It would be really nice if that ask a mod could be a link.

So you say the, "Ask a mod before ..." should really be, "Ask a mod in the DB Change Request Forum before ...". The main issue with this is it would require the user to create a forum user before they could ask their question. Also, after you use that in a document 3 or 4 times it gets kind of tedious.

Anyway, I wasn't going to make an actual request, except:
DonGato wrote:That would be a wonderful feature request. :P :D
So what do people think, is that something that we need, or should we just use the forums?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

Well,

the forums are the ideal place for such questions.
i don't think it's a good idea to add a special "message a mod" feature in anidb.
however, I am not sure if such questions would belong into the dbchange request forum or the support forum.

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

Sorry, I meant to do a proper response to this, and forgot. Basically I think *open* and *group* discussion is more useful than mod-instant-access. Though few newbs are likely to do so, the ability for anyone to search past topics here is very useful, and would removes some redundant questions that would otherwise be repeatedly asked in a closed ask-a-mod message system.

In the longer term though, is anidb continues to grow, and avoids the evil tide of anti-p2p, some better balance between the save-the-stupid-users-from-themselves and ask-a-mod-everytime-you-need-to-pee systems will probably have to be found. As various of the wikier things have been closed off recently (genre and relations adding), more things have to be creqed, but I'm sure even ultima (12683) has a limit. Especially if any of the more... ambitious ideas are implimented.

Rar