The best way to equalize the voting system: Input.

Forum for discussing AniDB rules & standards. No small talk!

Moderator: AniDB

akaneon.com

Post by akaneon.com »

PetriW wrote:
akaneon.com wrote:Pick up a calculator, you'll see exactly how it works, dipshit.
Then compare said value on calculator to the vote shown in the list, omg they differ!!!
Exactly, because you're just setting the value yourselves, the system is partial and is really based on moderator opinion of animes and groups.

Just admit it...you're using the system to boost groups you like and fuck the ones you don't, you could care less about us users and what we think...
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Omg haha, you think we have the time needed to set the votes for 4000 animes, 3778 groups and 62502 episodes? Not to even mention all the anime<>group relations?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

akaneon.com wrote:Lets say a series has 10 7 votes.

That gives you 70/100, or 7.0.

A 10 vote will give the series a 80/110, or a 7.2.

However, a 1 vote would give the series a 71 out of 110, or a 6.4.

That's not only a difference, that's a colossal difference. But you're too stupid to account for that.
true, true.
However, only if you're talking about an arithmetic mean. And AniDB is NOT using an arithmetic mean for the calculation of ratings.

And don't you think that this topic has kinda exceeded its usefullness. It seems pretty obvious that the people here are not going to implement your suggestion and that you're not going to be happy with whatever is done or said. So why not just leave it at that?

BYe!
EXP
akaneon.com

Post by akaneon.com »

lol, There are only 50 groups who are really subbing anime.

All you have to do is set the system to auto-downvote the ones you don't like, and upvote the ones you do
akaneon.com

Post by akaneon.com »

exp wrote:

That's not only a difference, that's a colossal difference. But you're too stupid to account for that.
true, true.
However, only if you're talking about an arithmetic mean. And AniDB is NOT using an arithmetic mean for the calculation of ratings.

And don't you think that this topic has kinda exceeded its usefullness. It seems pretty obvious that the people here are not going to implement your suggestion and that you're not going to be happy with whatever is done or said. So why not just leave it at that?

BYe!
EXP
It's just you useless staff gooks, you lazy fucking foreigners.

The people who use this forum LIKE my suggestion, you only oppose it because it means you'd have to do more work, and gooks hate work.
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

akaneon.com wrote:The people who use this forum LIKE my suggestion, you only oppose it because it means you'd have to do more work, and gooks hate work.
I am not sure about the first part. But you're definitely right on the last part.

We're all a bunch of lazy otakus who'd rather spend an evening watching anime than spend it coding something which we don't believe in.

And do you know the best part about it all? We actually can! Because AniDB
is a free service which we work on in our free time. So if we don't feel like coding... we'll just hang around an watch anime :o)

BYe!
EXP
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

Ah, you amuse us, please, do continue.
You make some interesting points.
goldenb

Post by goldenb »

hey akaneon.com i liked your original idea but don't you think you're going a bit too far say what you did to the ppl who provide us this service?
and they certainly have their reason's and it certainly would be easier and simpler for them to leave things as they were ( which i think were great specially considering it's a free service) of course things aren't perfect now (as i'm wrinting this there's an anime in the top10 and in second place that got there because there are about 100 votes and half of them are tens but then again it already had that score) but as deridiot said in AniDB it's a first version and please make constructive comments instead of bashful remarks
merkhant

Post by merkhant »

Hey Akaneon, maybe your initial idea wasn't so bad, but it is totally understandable that the AniDB staff prefers introducing a smart statical script to checking thousands of mini-reviews or weeding out people giving too many 1s.

Now, I would certainly prefer this script to be publicly available, it would be harder to accuse everybody of being unfair, as you just did (tell me, why would AniDB staff want to bias the results anyway?).
I am also not happy with how the script works right now, but I DO think that intorducing a more complicated algorithm than a simple average is the right step forward.

As to public support of your views on this forum, for now there is none on this thread.

And as to your calculations:

It should be 7.3. Learn how to round.
kidan

Post by kidan »

Popcorn, anyone?
suppy

Post by suppy »

1: Why would we say that a series has 10 votes of 7? Just because it illustrates your point? What about we take an example that is just as reasonable, one that illustrates the exact opposite: say a series has 10 votes of 3?
... Following your example:

That gives you 30/100, or 3.0.

A 10 vote will give the series a 40/110, or a 3.6.

However, a 1 vote would give the series a 31 out of 110, or a 2.8.

That's not only a difference, that's a collosal difference. But you're too stupid to account for that.

... A more sane way of doing this would be to compare with the actual mid-point of available votes: 5.5.

That gives you 55/100, or 5.5.

A 10 vote will give the series a 65/110, or a 5.9.

However a 1 vote would give the series a 56 out of 110, or a 5.1. (with proper rounding)
.... ooooh! suddenly the averages make sense!
Stabby

Post by Stabby »

This is directed to akaneon.com..
I just wanna say that this post started out great... and quickly went to shit.

You had an idea, you presented it in a well thought out manner, aside from the comment about Mod's changing scores.. it was very good.

PetriW was a bit harsh/rough.. but even admitted to being blunt.

Then people started to get pissed that you were accusing the mods of stuff, the one negative in your post...

You came back and delivered a good reply... and then start to lose it..... and by the end.. you turn it into a train wreck by going after the mods.

You bounced back when you posted about the statistics.. how a 10 will bump by +0.2, but a 1 drops it by -0.8 [EDIT: Even if the statistics are off.. it seemed to be an attempt to get back on track]... and then you train wreck again at the end of your post by attacking the mods... then, just to make sure you've got 100% casualties... you REPOST the same thing BUT IN BOLD.

If the average person, me for example, reads the topic from start to end they can actually see you deevolve from a mature poster to a whiny little child. AniDB, like most sites that offer things to the people are NOT a democracy... they are a Dictatorship... no matter how much they are based on the community. At the end of the day the people running it are not elected by the masses, they are chosen by the the rulers, what they say goes and no amount of protest, especially ones that trainwreck into crying will force a change. You use what is provided for free. If you don't like the way they run it, start your own anime database.

[Edit: Old topics FTW! lol]