Connection refused

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Smeagol01

Connection refused

Post by Smeagol01 »

is it just me or does the client has problems with connecting to the db recently?
Hoerie

Post by Hoerie »

If you'd read the announcements on the site, you would know that due to a new server being added anidb will be offline round about now...
ricce

Post by ricce »

If I have understand everything correctly, there is DNS problems at the moment make sure the client connects to api.anidb.net (api.anidb.info doesn't work).
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

I guess that's why I'm having problems with AVDump right now?

Currently I'm getting:
Failed to authenticate. Are you sure you got name and _apipass_ right? (Could also be a time-out.)
FAIL 0.31 - 250206
Both are correct, and it isn't up long enough to be a time-out.

Edit: Yup, I hacked the AVDump.exe file to change ".info" to ".net" and the dump worked.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

we are having some issues with the info domain atm and every client thta hardcoded the url breaks obviously.

either sit tigth or add an entry to your hosts file
sput

Post by sput »

HiEv wrote:I guess that's why I'm having problems with AVDump right now?

Currently I'm getting:
Failed to authenticate. Are you sure you got name and _apipass_ right? (Could also be a time-out.)
FAIL 0.31 - 250206
Both are correct, and it isn't up long enough to be a time-out.

Edit: Yup, I hacked the AVDump.exe file to change ".info" to ".net" and the dump worked.
how about sharing the way how or the product with everyone until its fixed? :P
HiEv

Post by HiEv »

sput wrote:
HiEv wrote:Edit: Yup, I hacked the AVDump.exe file to change ".info" to ".net" and the dump worked.
how about sharing the way how or the product with everyone until its fixed? :P
The last step is a bit tricky, so follow these directions carefully:

1) Grab UPX from here:
http://upx.sourceforge.net/

2) Use UPX to unpack the EXE with this command line:

Code: Select all

upx -d -o avdump2.exe avdump.exe
Note: You will probably have to add the path to the AVDump EXEs.

3) Open avdump2.exe with a hex editor and search for "anidb.info".
3a) For the first one change "anidb.info{null}" to "anidb.net{null}{null}". (Note: "{null}" is a 00 in hex.)
3b) For the second one change "http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?s ... sh=%s{null}" to "http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh ... null}{null}".
3c) Save the changes.

That's it!

If you don't want to do the work yourself and trust me you can grab the hacked version from my website here:

Edit: Deleted link. No longer necessary.

Or you can edit your hosts file to point anidb.info to 69.64.44.6 .
Last edited by HiEv on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

Well, now there's a new version of avdump and everything seems to be working fine again. :)
czpetab

Post by czpetab »

I don't want to start another thread, but I haven't been able to connect to anidb with AOM (connection refused) since October 17; according to AOM's dblog.txt, I was able to connect on October 15. Web works just fine and I'm sure none of my ports are blocked.
I've tried to change Anidb server in Connection settings from original "www.anidb.net" (which used to work before, I don't think I ever changed it to .info) to "api.anidb.net" and "anidb.net", but it didn't help. :(

Edit: I accidentally wrote November instead of October
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

The API server used to be located on the same box as the web server. Thus www.anidb.net worked for you. However, that was changed recently, www.anidb.(net|info) and anidb.(net|info) definitely won't work.
api.anidb.net should work though.
Can you give us some more information?

BYe!
EXP
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

might be some proxy in between or some very shitty isp whoes dns cache hasn't refreshed yet.
czpetab

Post by czpetab »

Thanks for your replies.
It works now. It looks it was my own fault. It didn't come to me to restart AOM after changing connection address (idiots like me are used to see a notification like "Some changes are taken into effect only after you restart <application>"). I tried "anidb.net" after no success with "api.anidb.net" so "api.anidb.net" wasn't saved before, I left it as "api.anidb.net" only after yesterday's experiments.

I'm very sorry for wasting your time.