AoM dat file format

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

LordOfThePigs

AoM dat file format

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Hello,

I am currently working on a research project (within the Swiss Federal Intitute of Technology) aiming to create a Peer-2-Peer Database system. And In order to validate the protocols and algorithms used, I am in need of a rather large and realistic DB. I Thought that the "Anime" part of AniDB would do the trick.

So, I wonder if someone could explain the format of the .dat files used by the AoM client. I need this in order to ba able to import this data quickly.

I'm not really in a hurry since I have just begun, but I'll probably need this within a few weeks. So, if you are interested/willing to help, I'd be glad if you could supply me with this information.

If anyone is interested in the result of this research, please tell me, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks in advance,

Lord of the Pigs
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I think you misunderstand the use of AOM. It's a glorified hashing program, not a p2p client. There are various open source bt thingies you might want to look at instead.

Rar
kidan

Post by kidan »

If you just need a large DB, then give FreeDB.org a shot.
LordOfThePigs

Post by LordOfThePigs »

Rar: Actually, I do know what the AoM client is, but my goal is to create a new database system. And In order to test it, I needed a big database, with meaningful content.

The only reason I mentioned The AoM client was because of it's local dump of AniDB. If I know the format of this dump, I can easily import the AniDB database into my new System for testing purposes.

Lord of the Pigs
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I'm afraid the aom format isn't available, it is intentionally obscured to prevent people from extracting the information in it.
If you need real data you either have to talk with exp or find the data somewhere else.
nich

Post by nich »

@LordOfThePigs: If all you need is a big database with meaningful content, you better try wikipedia's dump. It's freely available here. It's full of big (> 1GiB bz2'ed) database dumps which might help you stress/test/play with your system better than AOM would.
OnegaiNL

Post by OnegaiNL »

sounds like he's trying to rip-off AniDB

he is just making up the Swiss Federal Intitute of Technology thingy

BAKA ... your trying to make your own AniDB aren't you... :evil: