AoM stops after downloading

misc client related stuff

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Xinu

AoM stops after downloading

Post by Xinu »

Heyo!

I've got the somewhat weird problem, that AoM starts downloading the needed files from AniDB but then stops with the status: "Downloading file: 13,77MB out of 13,77MB done."

The Log says "Connection to AniDB successfully terminated. All queued tasks completed." whereas the statusbar says "(6 files queued)".

AoM keeps hanging within this status now for more than 20 minutes (after some restarts I did before).

Where's the problem? =/
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Maybe you have a slow computer? After a dump file has been downloaded it needs to be parsed, that can take quite a while and should be apparent by how much cpu AoM uses.
Xinu

Post by Xinu »

It's a AthlonXP 2800+ with 1024MB of RAM. Also the "parsing"-message appears for some seconds, then it disappears. I kept AoM within this status for more than 1 hour.. :(

// The bar within the window "Processing dump download ..." is moving some seconds, then the window disappears. :(
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

The dumps are currently broken, try again in a few days.
Midhras

Post by Midhras »

I'm still having this problem after quite some days of retrying. The thing is, my AOM on my desktop is updating like a charm, but the AoM on my laptop (same version, same network, same firewall settings etc., but new installation) does not update properly. It downloads and parses the first big chunk alright, but then gives up on downloading the queued files even if I leave it on for hours on end.

Those files still can't still be broken? What could be wrong on my end?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Did you try deleting all files in your kowai folder?
Midhras

Post by Midhras »

I did the first time I ran into the problem. Later I installed from scratch. I even tried copying the entire thing, kowai included directly from my desktop computer (working AOM) to the laptop. No luck. I'm guessing it's something on my end, but I can't figure out why. It used to work on both computers, and then, two weeks or so ago, my laptop AOM suddenly stopped updating correctly.
Now that I've copied all files from the laptop however, I got rid of the queue of files AOM[laptop] refused to download. Now it malfunctions at the first and only (small) dump.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Well, AoM uses Internet Explorer to download files, if you've changed anything in that it won't work... Maybe you can provide a log?
Midhras

Post by Midhras »

Well PetriW, it seems like the problem sorted itself out. I don't know what I did, or what happened to make it work, but AOM now updates like a charm again, and all symptoms of the problem have vanished. The only thing I did change on my computer was the list of blocked servers I use in adblock in FireFox, but I can't see what that could possibly have to do with it, as you mentioned AOM uses IE.

One more thing that maybe can help you in diagnosing (if you feel like it) what the problem was, is that AOM couldn't load the online pictures in the anime-details page. If I clicked on the hyperlinks (like the anime-title) my browser would normally open the page for the relevant anime, but in AOM no picture was loaded.

Well, I'm glad everything works out again, so if you don't feel like it, don't give it another thought.

Thanks for your thoughts.