AniDB History/Logging [DONE]

AniDB Client Feature Requests go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Ultima
AniDB Staff

AniDB History/Logging [DONE]

Post by Ultima »

Afaik, there isn't any type of logging feature on the anidb client. It would be nice if there was a tab/window that kept track of everything that a user does with the client. From hashing files, updating their mylist, the client sending a creq to anidb, etc. It would be quite helpful in keeping track of the anidb client's behavior.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Actually there is logging it's just disabled atm, I've been thinking of adding the statusbar messages to a log window though, especially as many of the long running tasks don't always really say what they are doing, such as renaming files etc.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

It would be nice if the log could be split into a process log and an activity log, the first being basically the current log and the latter being a summary that logs specific actions with some more details, e.g.

"Submitting auto-creq for file #1234 (anime: Testanime, episode: 08)" or
"Adding file #1234 to mylist (G:\My Animes\Complete Series\Testanime\Test - 01.avi)"
"Filemanager auto-adding file #4321 to mylist (H:\My Animes Too\Movies\and so on...)"

Basically, a comprehensive list of actions that result from user requests and will change the database or the user's mylist, complete with just enough details for the user to understand what's being changed, where and why.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Waaah! >_<

Please make this one urgent... Right now, AOM says it's updating a ton of mylist entries, but I haven't changed anything, but I can't find out what the hell it's updating because all the log says is "New or updated mylist entry, updating..."

Please!
More Details! :?
egg

Post by egg »

Elberet wrote:Waaah! >_<

Please make this one urgent... Right now, AOM says it's updating a ton of mylist entries, but I haven't changed anything, but I can't find out what the hell it's updating because all the log says is "New or updated mylist entry, updating..."

Please!
More Details! :?
I had this when I had "Correct data if different" checked. I would recommend following PetriW's advice:
PetriW wrote:Just disable automatic mylist updates.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

I'd still like to know what it's doing.
Software that does stuff behind my back is scarey.
Yuzu... don't like scarey software! :cry:
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I too would like to know which FIDs are updated. That way I could stop AoM from updating things that don't need an update and maybe prevent certain things from happening (like labeling all my anime unwatched as it happened two times already :-) )
Last edited by Skywalka on Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

That's what happened to me as well... Waaaaa! ~_~
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

*Hides his guilty ass behind the alpha software warning.*
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

*Slaps PetriW around a bit with a readme.txt that doesn't say a single word about known bugs.*

Yeah, alpha software can't be expected to be error-free and reliable, but known problems should really get listed somewhere obvious. -_-;
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

I've kinda seen this forum as the place to go for bug updates. :oops:
egg

Post by egg »

PetriW wrote:I've kinda seen this forum as the place to go for bug updates. :oops:
In PetriW's defence, Skywalka said he was going to create a FAQ (basically because of this same bug), but he decided to delay until the new release came out. The only thing is the next release doesn't look like it is coming soon. :(
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Then how about a sticky or announcement in one of the forums called "Known Bugs - READ OR HAVE YOUR MYLIST SCREWED UP!" ? ;)