[DEL][GROUP] Ripping Gods

old granted and denied CREQs

Moderator: AniDB

Have you got access to any [r-g] distributions directly from [r-g]?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:28 pm

yes
27%
no
73%

Total votes: 15

mentat

[DEL][GROUP] Ripping Gods

Post by mentat »

Sorry I can't seem to find the new method of requesting modifications on aniDB.

Anyway, I know that the group Ripping Gods have contributed many episodes of anime however this group does not claim to be fansubbers. In fact in their forum ( http://rg.thetyrant.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82 ) they have clearly stated that "The whole point of RG is that we don't WANT to give our rips to anyone. note the word RIPS, not FANSUB."

If anyone cares to read their comments or distribution policies, they're not the most forgiving or egilitarian bunch of people. This group has great statistics on their releases yet if you check their IRC distro channel there's about 50+ or so people before one is kickbanned within a minute without a "registered fserve" which basically requires one to have at least a cable line. And don't even worry yourself about their BT releases. There was one file with one seeder on the tracker.

This group clearly imply that they do not wish to contribute to the fansubbing/anime community yet they get the creds. for "fansubbing" and releasing all these eps?

I think a fair solution would be cease giving credits for their - what I'm sure are - unintentional new releases, unless they willingly contribute more to the fansubbing/anime community.

I know this a contraversial request and I'm trying present this objectively. But surely, if a group do not even wish to have their distributions released to the public perhaps they shouldn't lay claim for the respect of the community?

Thoughts and clarifications welcomed. I've included a poll to see whether and how many people actually get r-g distros.
egg

Re: [DEL][GROUP] Ripping Gods

Post by egg »

mentat wrote:This group clearly imply that they do not wish to contribute to the fansubbing/anime community yet they get the creds. for "fansubbing" and releasing all these eps?
AniDB is NOT ABOUT DOWNLOADING. It is about users being able to maintain information about their Anime Libraries. How they get the files is irrelevant, but as long as there is information about the file it should be in the database.
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

I don't see how RG being asses to you affects a file hash database. This certainly isn't a support forum for their irc channel or bt trackers. There is no official support for ed2k here, but there's not even unofficial support for some random group's fsevers or torrents. If RG are being dickish to you, just go elsewhere.

Rar
mentat

Post by mentat »

They haven't been dickish to me, nor am I personally annoyed that I can't get their distros. There's plenty of anime out there for everyone afterall. The point is to look at the implications of their non transparency.

You need to consider the implications of the integrity of the database when there is so little transparency going on in the group. If hardly anyone can get their releases. a) How does one verify their claim outside of the few inner members who claims access b) How do you openly verify quality that they claim?

If many people are doing what they are doing. It can be hypothetically possible to pretend to start a restictive irc group only group that does absolutely nothing but maintain a lie. Of course I am NOT claiming that RG are doing this.

And one more point. The uses of aniDB very much extends the uses of just a reference of user collections that already exist. There are plenty of information regarding anime that have had no fansubbing what so ever. Cleary the information can be used for a variety purposes - however the main point is that no matter how its used the info needs to be correct and valid to maintain its integrity.
kidan

Post by kidan »

I don't see your problem, if sb. has got a file from r-g they should be able to either find or add it in or to the DB with as much info as possible. This is especially no problem, as files tend to spread through the net.
egg

Post by egg »

Who cares? If they want to go through that much trouble and create pretend records in the database just so they can be happy, so be it. To the best of our knowledge they are making real files, and if only a select few can get their hands on them, they will become deprecated files and that's it.

If they were doing something malicious, then it might make sense to take some action, but if they are just selective, let them do their thing...
mentat

Post by mentat »

kidan wrote:I don't see your problem...
The problem is information integrity.
egg wrote:Who cares?
People who post here about fixing details of anime series and episodes. People like yourselves actually - which just surprises me 8O

I think the same care should applied for group information as well. The motivation is to improve the quality of information on aniDB really.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

somehow i totally fail to see your point.

- i have a file.
- it's anime.
- it's from some group. doesn't matter if they wanted to give it to me or not. i got my greedy hands on it so i have it.
- i want to add it

and now you say thats wrong o_O
basically you are saying just because the file is not accesable for you or whoever it's not allowed to be added or rather I'm not allowed to add the group who did it.. thats total baka.
if you have an anime file of whoever and through whatever ways add it and add who did it, because the one deserves credit even if he is a stupid asshole ^^;

ok lets giive you a stupid example: lets say i rip some eps for myself and I never plan to give them to you or anyone else. now i add my files to anidb inclusiv my groupname! why am i in your eyes not allowed to do that?!
anidb is not a database of files someone can GET through whaever ways. but a hashdatabase of things you HAVE! somehow you seem to mix those things up it seems.

or is it that you doubt those rips exist? well let me tell you i have several RG files so they DO exist.

btw
note the word RIPS, not FANSUB."
and? you notice a good portion of the things in anidb ARE DVD-Rips. not everything is fansubbed.
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

DerIdito wrote:ok lets giive you a stupid example: lets say i rip some eps for myself and I never plan to give them to you or anyone else. now i add my files to anidb inclusiv my groupname! why am i in your eyes not allowed to do that?!
actually... you shouldn't add files you ripped yourself and never distributed them, that's why the generic files with the 'self ripped' status are there for :D

as for RG, mentat, are you saying that they rip the anime and never distribute them? o_O;
well even if they don't do it officially, then somehow someone got their hands on the files and entered to anidb and that's all good, that can be considered as a leak and we got plenty of leaked fansubs as well.. although these files would be the leaks of a file that would never get distributed :lol:

edit: after reading FalconX's post in RG's forum... there's really no problem with it, they just seem to be very cautios not to distribute their stuff to any leecher (perhaps they fear the licensing companies :roll: ) but they DO distribute files which are likely redistributed elsewhere by the ppl who got them...
btw, this RG's distribution system is the biggest bullshit I've ever seen and that's my personal opinion :D although an evironment consisting only of elitist asshats is for my liking and that's what they're trying to accomplish
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

RG even have a website that lists all releases, all files and for each file the official CRC32 checksum - so where's the problem? It doesn't matter how one got a file or whether that file was ever meant to be spread or not, it only matters that the file exists and that it's contents match the filename. (NB: "exists" in this context means that it's freely circulating through the internet in some form or another.)
rowaasr13

Post by rowaasr13 »

I'd say that even "freely circulating through the internet" is not necessary to exist in AniDB sense. It is just that file should be something more than personal rip and available to at least some group of people.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Actually, I disagree. Files that never make it out of a closed group shouldn't be added to AniDB. Then again, if they do get added, there's no reason to delete such rare files, while private rips that only one single person can have should actually be deleted, or rather joined with the generic file.
Der Idiot
AniDB Staff

Post by Der Idiot »

ok bad example i guess. ^^; anyway doesn't change the fact that rg should get deleted!
nwa
AniDB Staff

Post by nwa »

DerIdiot wrote:anyway doesn't change the fact that rg should get deleted!
you think it should get deleted as well?
I thought you were against it :P
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Clearly I must have done something very wrong to be able to obtain files from R-G if they ain't distributed.
Oh, and I've never been to the R-G irc channels or website or anything.