kaay

[AOM_0.5.6.244] 0 AniDB entries, even after downloading dump

Post by kaay »

[Statistics]
---AniDB---
Animes: 0
Episodes: 0
etc.

Fresh install. Followed guide. Waited for 26,49MB download. Decrypted, progress window vanished. Still 0 entries, can't find a thing. Restarted. AGAIN downloaded dump. No change. Cleared kowai folder. Restarted. Downloaded dump YET AGAIN, though the very same thing (00000003) never left the "Temp" folder. Still nothing.
Help, please?

Here's my dblog.txt right after shutting down after the third time I downloaded the dump:

{everything succesful at the beginning, so I won't post it}
[2006-11-04 15:26:18] Executing new AniDB command.
[2006-11-04 15:26:19] Connection to AniDB successfully terminated. All queued tasks completed.
[2006-11-04 15:26:22] Downloading file: 4,00 KB out of 26,49 MB done. (10 files queued, 1,45 MB)
[2006-11-04 15:53:49] Downloading file: 26,49 MB out of 26,49 MB done. (10 files queued, 1,45 MB)
[2006-11-04 16:04:45] Log session end.
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Clearing tags and patterns...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Saving tags...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Saving patterns...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Clearing players...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Saving players...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Clearing file managers...
[2006-11-04 16:04:46] SaveSettings: Saving file mana

Yep, that's what it ended on.
dblog.txt after restarting and closing:
{similar to before}
[2006-11-04 17:07:51] SaveSettings: Saving fil

Can't do more tests, as my ISP will shave my bandwidth if I try downloading those 26,49 MB again.

Now, all I want is to be able to browse anime titles, episode lists, etc, offline. Nothing file-related. So, if there's an alternative that I missed, please tell me of it. Even an XML list would do.

I'm running WinXP on Pentium3 700MHz, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage (so no nVidia software is present)
exp
Site Admin

Re: [AOM_0.5.6.244] 0 AniDB entries, even after downloading

Post by exp »

kaay wrote:I'm running WinXP on Pentium3 700MHz, 128MB RAM, ATI Rage (so no nVidia software is present)
aww, you're planning to use AoM 0.5 on that configuration? that's going to be... a problem. Your problem might even be related to that, how is your swap space usage during that dump processing? Might AoM be running out of memory?

BYe!
EXP
kaay

Re: [AOM_0.5.6.244] 0 AniDB entries, even after downloading

Post by kaay »

exp wrote: ...
aww, you're planning to use AoM 0.5 on that configuration? that's going to be... a problem. Your problem might even be related to that, how is your swap space usage during that dump processing? Might AoM be running out of memory?

BYe!
EXP
Ah. Pretty bad. I *do* have very little memory, but I didn't think it would affect anything other than performance. But functionality?
I'll try elsewhere (better configuration) when I get the chance. That moment might be a few weeks away, though. Are there any other ideas? Or a way to use the dump I've already downloaded?

I appreciate the swift reply, thanks.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Apparently it takes 4+ hours to parse the dump file with 256mb ram I'd guess it's not actually done...... I would strongly advise you to not try aom.5 on a computer with less than 350mb ram, 512mb is strongly recommended if you want other stuff running.

When aom.6 arrives in 2019 though you might be interested in checking it out again, until then try out webaom.
kaay

Post by kaay »

PetriW wrote:Apparently it takes 4+ hours to parse the dump file with 256mb ram I'd guess it's not actually done...... I would strongly advise you to not try aom.5 on a computer with less than 350mb ram, 512mb is strongly recommended if you want other stuff running.

When aom.6 arrives in 2019 though you might be interested in checking it out again, until then try out webaom.
~^v^v !!!! ^v^v~
Wouldn't have guessed. That window (decrypting/unpacking or whatever) just wasn't there anymore the next time I looked (after 30 minutes), so I thought it was done. Also, there wasn't even any message about increasing size of pagefile.

WebAOM won't do, I just need to browse, *offline*, and don't care about mylist or hashing. Also, by 2019 I'm planning on having a classic/neurocomputer hybrid, so other compatibility issues are bound to pop up. I really dislike delphi.

Anyway, although the bug temains, I got the explanation I needed. Thank You.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

kaay wrote:I really dislike delphi.
Just fyi the quality/speed/ram usage of aom.5 has nothing whatsoever to do with delphi...

Most people who dislike delphi don't really know anything about it, I've heard some pretty weird things (like it being an interpreted language... wtf!).

Oh, and I don't see a reason for why aom.5 would not work on 128mb ram if you have enough virtual memory, but you'd need a freaking lot of that. (500mb+ to be somewhat safe) ;) As it'd be the dump parsing which would get the out of memory error the only place it might be written is in the log, there won't be an error window.
kaay

Post by kaay »

PetriW wrote:
kaay wrote:I really dislike delphi.
Just fyi the quality/speed/ram usage of aom.5 has nothing whatsoever to do with delphi...
I meant lack of stability, and missing libraries. I've had many problems with stability of delphi apps, though I might have just been unlucky (not to mention unskilled). Also, I dislike programming in delphi & pascal, but that's just my personal preference. Let's not discuss it.

As for memory, I do realize what would be needed if it was done in java.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

kaay wrote:I meant lack of stability, and missing libraries.
Ouch, can't say I've experienced the same... Especially considering most delphi apps don't use any libraries at all, maybe you're mixing it up with Visual Basic?
kaay wrote:Also, I dislike programming in delphi & pascal, but that's just my personal preference. Let's not discuss it.
All coders subscribe to one coding religion or another. ;)

And a well written java application would most likely use significantly less ram than aom.5. Once upon a time aom.5 didn't take much ram either, then anidb.... grew....

Anyway, I intend to try do something about it eventually, it just so happens that doing it properly takes more time than I have available. :(
kaay

Post by kaay »

PetriW wrote:
kaay wrote:I meant lack of stability, and missing libraries.
Ouch, can't say I've experienced the same... Especially considering most delphi apps don't use any libraries at all, maybe you're mixing it up with Visual Basic?
Dunno, it was a long time ago... but I recall sth about "blahblah... missing export in OLEAUT32.DLL...", or MSIMG32.DLL... No matter.
PetriW wrote:
kaay wrote:Also, I dislike programming in delphi & pascal, but that's just my personal preference. Let's not discuss it.
All coders subscribe to one coding religion or another. ;)
Precisely.
PetriW wrote:And a well written java application would most likely use significantly less ram than aom.5. Once upon a time aom.5 didn't take much ram either, then anidb.... grew....
Ah, yes. "Well written" being the keyphrase. Well, since it works /well enough/, I'll wait till I get my own computer back... It's been nearly three months now! I'll never buy an ASUS notebook again.

Thanks for the help, folks. O&O.
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

kaay wrote:Dunno, it was a long time ago... but I recall sth about "blahblah... missing export in OLEAUT32.DLL...", or MSIMG32.DLL... No matter.
Hmm, that doesn't really make sense unless you're running a botched version of windows... These are core DLLs which should be installed on any up to date windows XP.

Must be some other bug triggering it.