Graceful handling of lost connections?

Bug reports for an official AniDB Client go here

Moderators: AniDB, AniDB API

Elberet

Graceful handling of lost connections?

Post by Elberet »

A couple minutes ago, my DSL connection died. The Linux gateway reconnected immediately. Windows didn't notice that all it's connections to the Internet died, hence AOM's socket just hung. Apparently, it was not able to detect this and ended up waiting forever, with no chance for me to cancel the transfer or an apparent timeout to restart the transfer.

By the way... now that I restarted it, it's once again updating my mylist like crazy, and STILL leaves in the dark as to what it's changing. *grr* :?
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

it most likely changes all the storage informatino and the "watched" status to "" (blank) if you checked "change if different" in the file manager.

Currently that part of AoM does not work like it is supposed to.
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

Yup, but that's not the point of this particular thread. :P
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Hmm... How long did you wait for it to catch on? I never really experimented with this, low priority stuff. ;)
Skywalka

Post by Skywalka »

I agree. Once in a while you simply have to restart AoM. It doesn't really take that long to load so untill the bad errors are fixed and all the features are in I think stuff like this should remain at the end of the list of items that should take up PetriW's limited progging times :)
Elberet

Post by Elberet »

@Skywalka: Netcode is IMO among the most important things for a distributed application such as this. :/

@PetriW: Approximately 10 minutes. eMule finds a connection to be dead after approximately 30 seconds, BitTorrent takes between 10 seconds and a minute, mIRC takes 2 hours (!) until it notices that it isn't connected anymore. If possible, I'd like AOM to behave like eMule or BT... :P