TCP protocol

Want to help out? Need help accessing the AniDB API? This is the place to ask questions.

Moderator: AniDB

Dolda2000

TCP protocol

Post by Dolda2000 »

I think I've searched the entire site for the TCP protocol specs, but all I can find is for the UDP protocol. I'm sorry to bother with such a trivial question, but could someone (pretty please) point out where the TCP protocol is specified?
epoximator
AniDB Staff

Post by epoximator »

the TCP protocol is not public.
search for 'tcp' in this forum
http://www.anidb.net/forum/viewtopic.ph ... hlight=tcp
Dolda2000

Post by Dolda2000 »

Indeed, I had found an old post from 2002 that said that the TCP protocol was not public "as of yet", but I assumed that was from lack of time of writing down the TCP protocol spec, and that it would have been fixed in three years.

Would you mind me asking why the TCP protocol isn't open?
PetriW
AniDB Staff

Post by PetriW »

Because it could be used for a lot of abusive stuff which isn't really wanted.
Thus Exp wants to be able to control what kind of clients can connect to the tcp api.
Dolda2000

Post by Dolda2000 »

I don't know the situtation in detail, of course, but to me that sounds like a bug that should be fixed, no?
exp
Site Admin

Post by exp »

the problem lies in the basic design and capabilities of the tcp api.
however, the udp api will see some major extensions soon (refer to the respective thread).
the discussion on what to include in the next udp api version is still ongoing, so maybe you should try to stick to that?

BYe!
EXP
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

My take on it: anyone capable of writing a client so extensive it would require TCP access is certainly capable of writing the beginning of it using the UDP interface only. There's no need to give TCP specs to anyone who wanders in off the streets, it's not hard to prove you're both skilled and dedicated enough by producing something useful with the tools already available.

Rar
AnimeOtaku

Post by AnimeOtaku »

is that the same reason why the AOM client source is not open source.
Or are you afraid of fake aom clients? :oops:
Rar
AniDB Staff

Post by Rar »

No, it's because 'Open Source' is not a magical elixir of life, you still need people willing to work on the project. And AOM is delphi. If bored, but skilled and reliable, delphi programmers showed up looking to help, I'm sure Petri could delgate some stuff. Till then the millions of programmers who are just dying to write TCP clients for anidb could damn well have a crack at extending Chii or writing a lil UDP client.

Rar